Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2012

How accurate is a DUI hospital blood test? I know some counties have banned hospital blood test; however the local countries around this area still do them. I hear both stories that they are approved and reliable and then I hear stories that they are far from accurate? I am lucky not involved in a DUI but lately I just hear a lot of talk about these tests. Thank you.

I think your question actually relates to the testing process, rather than the draw. Generally, a hospital laboratory tests serum, whereas a laboratory utilized gas chromatography. Serum testing produces a higher ethyl alcohol level which must be converted utilizing a mathematical formula to produce a "whole blood equivalent" BAC. The conversion rates vary as there is no actual accepted standard. The testing process is subject to challenge and, more importantly, the medical technician who is often asked to testify is subject to vigorous cross-examination. Close calls produce wins for the defense in jury trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment